Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lip Butter Love

Top to Bottom: Strawberry Shortcake, Sugar Plum, Lollipop
I decided to give Revlon's ColorBurst Lip Butters a whirl, and I must admit I am impressed. The formula is buttery, smooth, and silky and it keeps lips feeling soft and hydrated. These lip butters are a welcomed departure from the average drying lipstick.

As you can see in the photo, lip butters provide a good amount of pigment, but also look shiny and glossy. High gloss lip sticks tend to smear easily and wear off quickly, so I was pleasantly surprised that these little guys actually have a bit of staying power. They are by no means long-wearing, but I would say that they maintain their full pigment and shine for at least an hour. After that, the gloss begins to fade, but the pigment stays on for an hour or so longer. I was surprised to see that these lip butters can even somewhat hold up through an entire meal (they lose a bit of shine while you're eating, but the pigment stays). Reapplication is necessary after a while, but it's not the sort of thing you have to worry about all day long.

As for the color selection, there are quite a few shades to choose from. Since this is a drugstore brand, you generally don't get to try before you buy. There is a certain amount of guesswork when it comes to selecting a shade. I like all three of the ones that I tried, but Sugar Plum is definitely a winner. It's one of those classic shades that can easily go from day to night. It has just the perfect balance of drama and that natural look. Strawberry Shortcake is cute enough, but I find it to be a bit more baby spice than strawberry in color. I also noticed that, unlike the other two, this shade seems a tad uneven upon application. It doesn't look as uniform and smooth as the other two shades I bought. I have a feeling that this lipstick looks better and smoother in medium-darker shades than it does in pale shades like Strawberry Shortcake. Lollipop is a pretty, bright, berry pink, but it is a bit too much for daytime. I think I will get a bit less use out of this one, but I still like the color.

Overall, I definitely recommend giving these lipsticks a try. Great product.

<3 Bee